We will start with what it is not.
- It is not a scam.
- It is not a VISA with $2,880 limit on it to spend, like some advertisements say.
- You can not just spend flex card money on anything.
- Flex cards are not provided by Medicare the government-run program for senior citizens.
Then what is it?
- Flex cards are tied to health insurance, and these flex card for seniors are actually a health insurance marketing tactic designed to lure seniors into switching to specific Medicare Advantage plans. These ads usually include a multitude of misleading or false claims.
- In order to qualify for a flex card, you must qualify for a health insurance plan with a flexible spending account. The flex card for seniors offer is typically tied to a Medicare Advantage plan. Medicare is very complicated as it has many parts. Insurers of Medicare Advantage plans make it a little easier by bundling all the benefits together. They also often package additional benefits into their plans, such as dental, vision and drugs. However, the costs for these plans vary and not all seniors are eligible for them. You often have to pay an additional premium for Medicare Advantage plans.
- Flex cards hold money that can be used like a debit card to pay for certain medical expenses.
- The average flex card in 2022 is pre-loaded with $500.
- Only a few private insurance providers offer these flex cards, and they only come with a few plans. The spending limit on the card and what you can use it for varies with every plan.
- Anthem, Aetna and Humana all announced they would offer new Medicare Advantage plans in 2022 that include these “flex cards.” There is a limit to the areas these cards are available. (I have HUMANA and their FLEX cards are only available in Florida. I cannot get one as I live in Arizona)
What does a flex card pay for?
According to Healthcare.gov, a flex card can be used to pay for certain out-of-pocket health care costs.
These costs may include:
- Prescription medications
- Over-the-counter medications
- Medical equipment (crutches, etc.)
- First aid equipment (bandages, etc.)
- Diagnostic devices (blood sugar test kits, etc.)
- Eye exams, glasses and/or contacts
- Dental care
- Hearing aids
- and more!
For more information you can talk to someone at Medicare by phone by calling 800-633-4227 or by chat with a real person at medicare.gov.
The Amazon Flex VISA Card
As many of us like to purchase things from Amazon so I decided to check them out and Yes they have a FLEX VISA card. This is not a card for seniors or anything to do with Medicare, it is for their delivery partners.
I thought what is a delivery partner? So I took a closer look as I had not heard of this before.
This is what a delivery partner is:
- They are persons that have qualified to be an amazon FLEX driver/delivery person.
- They use their own vehicle and deliver packages to amazon customers.
- They choose the block of time they are available to work.
- Not available in all cities.
To learn more go to: https://flex.amazon.com/
The above is a little overview of what I learned about the FLEX VISA cards for seniors and a surprising one from amazon. I hope you enjoyed this blog and any feedback you would like to make or if there is anything that you would like me to research and review in future blogs please ask in the comment’s area below this post.
Thank You for reading my post.